Oh Yes!! This is the Oxford. A city covered with mist in autumn, with snow in winter and glowing sun’s glory in summer. A city that appears to be born out of dreams of an architecture poet. This is the Oxford. A city which is brimful of stories, legends, aspirations and cravings. It has restful, silent and capacious street, where you will find people roaming and chatting with each other. This is the Oxford City. A city of colleges that keeps buzzing with the sounds of cheerful students, perfectly clean and landscaped parks/gardens and mesmerizing architecture that fills the mind of even a casual visitor with the images of this unforgettable city.
The charm and educational power of the city of Oxford is visible in its dignified and peaceful architecture. The Oxford is a historical city. Its history spread its wings from gothic to medieval era that can be seen in its architecture. The locations of its earliest colleges, University campus, Balliol College, Merton College and the university Church of St. Mary which gives an indication how tiny medieval Oxford was.
For a modern visitor it may look like the northern part of the city, the broad space of St. Giles that lay outside the medieval city walls. So do several imposing of early colleges, and all those to the north which mark by stages the Victorian and twentieth century expansion of the collegiate life of the Oxford. The walls of the town were rebuilt in mid thirteenth century, and some of its portion however is visible within New College that gives the sense of smallness of the original town.
The intersection of Woodstock and Banbury roads that runs from the north into St. Giles. The University area spreads in the late nineteenth century when college fellows were allowed to marry and required family houses.
The process was called Victorianization of North Oxford that gave birth to the modern Gothic suburb of North Oxford.
The houses there are common and normal. They are ordinary in sizes with roofs and gardens decorated with Laburnum and flowering cherries atop of them. As you move towards south the size of the houses get growing higher and odder.
As you get to Norham Garden they roll over edge into magnificent houses. These houses are three-storey high and have porches instead of front doors and Norman windows neatly grouped in threes with flaring brick to set them off. The new spectacular houses could not advance beyond the University Parks. A small part of this area had been used for University walks. The Parks were planned to put in hand for reshaping and development in them, when they were purchased from the Merton College.
The small Pitt- Rivers Museum was added at the back in 1884. It was a house of interesting samples of anthropology as peculiar as anything on the outsides of this Victorian building. The Museum stood in isolation initially like a country house and admired the views of the lawn.
Later the university administration began to develop plans gradually to make parts of it into a botanical garden. James Bateman had established his name as a garden designer in the 1850’s at Biddulph Grange in Staffordshire and he was asked to design the layout and planting of the Parks. His designs were rejected by Oxford’s Convocation in 1863 because they thought that it might be too expensive to implement.
Any tourist visiting Oxford City will be welcomed by the spires of Oxford City and the city aspires visiting tourists to dream big. The first spire seen by visitors when entering Oxford City will be on Magdalen College bridge.